What do we guarantee?
- We fully abide by the UK Data Protection Act.
- We'll never share, sell or otherwise leverage your data unless you agree to it.
- The information we collect is necessary for the smooth running of our website and to make our website as convenient for you to use and as relevant to you as possible.
- We always try to be as open and honest as possible so if anything is not clear or you want to clarify anything with us, then just contact us and we will answer as clearly as we can.
AwesomeBooks is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
AwesomeBooks may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. We normally post the date of the last update to the page at the top, or on our Terms and Conditions page.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- information about your purchases
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
AwesomeBooks collects the details provided by you on registration together with
information we learn about you from your use of our service and your visits to our
web site and other sites accessible from them. We also collect information about
the transactions you undertake including details of payment cards used.
We may collect additional information in connection with your participation in any promotions or competitions offered by us and information you provide when giving us feedback or completing profile forms. We also monitor customer traffic patterns and site use which enables us to improve the service we provide.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional email about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, and if you've opted-in, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or post.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- We will use sales data to populate our 'What’s going on' grid on our homepage. This is completely anonymous and is only ever displayed using non-identifiable details. No correlation could be made between a specific customer's purchase and the details displayed on screen.
Use of your information and your preferences
We will use your information to provide and personalise our service. We will also use your contact details to communicate with you. We may use your information to send you offers and news about products and services. Once you have registered to use AwesomeBooks, you will be provided with access to a "Your account" page that will allow you to tailor our communications to your preferences.
To change your contact preferences simply click "Log In" at the top of the homepage and then click “Your Account”. Once in your account section, you can change your preferences from the options therein. If you are confused about how to stop receiving any type of communication from us then you may contact us at any time and we will help you ensure your wishes are respected.
Please note that there may be instances where it may be necessary for us to communicate with you, in any event, for administrative or operational reasons relating to our service.
For e-mail notifications of out of stock titles we will only use your e-mail address for this purpose and not for additional marketing.
If you decide to delete your account/leave AwesomeBooks your personal account details will be deleted. Any reviews you have written will not be deleted and will remain on the site.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
Non-registered visitors of the site are sent anonymous cookies to keep track of their browsing patterns and build up a demographic profile. In addition, any visitor who has clicked on an AwesomeBooks advertisement on another site that links to AwesomeBooks will be sent a semi-persistent (e.g. a cookie with a lifetime of 30 days) anonymous cookie that will allow us to analyse advertising effectiveness and manage our relationship with affiliate sites.
While you do not need to allow your browser to accept cookies in order to browse much of our web site or to access many of our services, you must have cookies enabled if you wish to shop online or access any areas reserved for registered users.
You can find out more about the way cookies work on http://www.cookiecentral.com. You can also restrict the way in which your browser interacts with cookies but changing your browser security settings. To do this, please visit the homepage of your selected browser and information should be available on this.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, AwesomeBooks is required to tell you if it transfers or intends to transfer information which it holds about you to countries outside the European Economic Area ("EEA").
AwesomeBooks currently transfers such information outside the EEA for secure storage on its servers located in the Middle East and Asia. Because some of AwesomeBooks’ servers are located outside the EEA, the transfer of all of AwesomeBooks’ data (including the personal details contained in your account) outside the EEA is necessary to enable AwesomeBooks to operate its website and provide products and information to you.
By accessing and using the AwesomeBooks .com website you are deemed to have accepted AwesomeBooks’ Terms and Conditions, and to have consented to the transfer and storage of your personal information and data outside the EEA. If you do not wish any of your personal data or information to be stored or transferred outside the EEA, you may withdraw your consent to such at any time by notifying AwesomeBooks at the address at the end of this page. However, because AwesomeBooks has servers which are located outside the EEA, if you withdraw your consent, AwesomeBooks will no longer be able to provide you access to or use of its website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to us or informing us via the contact us page.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties
unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your
personal information to send you promotional information about our group of companies
which we think you may find interesting.
Should you wish to contact us, please feel free to contact us via email or write to us at the following address:
PO BOX 318